Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Light of the World


“It is not for us to prophesy the day (though the day will come) when men will once more be called so to utter the Word of God that the world will be changed and renewed by it. It will be a new language, perhaps quite non-religious, but liberating and redeeming –as was Jesus’ language; it will shock people and yet overcome them by its power; it will be the language of a new righteousness and truth, proclaiming God’s peace with men and the coming of His kingdom.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
The woman was of no consequence when the Pharisees brought her to Jesus. They didn’t care about her life or her shame; they simply wanted to catch Him off-guard. It didn’t matter who she was or even that a man had also been involved in the adultery, they needed to trap this teacher and they had a plan.
I wonder what they thought would happen when they brought her before Jesus. Did they see Him as someone who was too compassionate to approve a death sentence? Did they think that was proof against His validity? Did they hope for the crowd to be appalled at Jesus’ dishonoring Moses’ law? Or did they think He would stone her and the multitude would turn away in disgust as the Romans arrested Him for murder?
It doesn’t say what was written in the sand while the accusers pressed Jesus for an answer, but I wonder if it was the names of their sins. What if, while they railed against this woman for her adultery, Jesus was calmly shining a light on their own secret faults? And when He spoke the words that cut to the heart, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first” (John 8:7), did they look down and see the sand putting a finger on their festering wound?
It was their moment before the Light of the World. He spoke straight to their hearts, but they cowered away, for “the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light” (John 3:19). But the woman stayed. She stood in the midst of that crowd and she waited for Jesus to look up. Then that great Light turned on her and she didn’t turn away.
His words to her are beautiful and they are the same words that I believe Jesus speaks to us today. When I let the light shine into my darkest corners, when I bring out my best-kept secrets, He looks into me and asks, as He did that day, “Woman, where are your accusers?” And I look around, as I imagine she might have. I try to remember why I was so scared of naming my dreaded crimes, but the crippling chains of the dark fade in the light of life. “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved” (John 3:17).
How is it that no matter how many times I have read the Bible and spoken with my Savior I still imagine Him as waiting to condemn me? How can I be so dumb, again and again, thinking I can earn favor by ignoring my sins? My soul is crippled by this world’s philosophies, by my flesh’s desires, by Satan’s lies, and when Jesus’ light shines into my heart I want to turn away and flee into the shadows. But when the Light comes He does not bring condemnation.
He comes with arms open. After all, He came in love when I was “dead in trespasses” (Ephesians 2:5) to die for my sins. Is it so strange that He should come to me now, when I am His child, and wash my dirty hands with compassion in His eyes? “And Jesus said to her, ‘Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more’” (John 8:11). His light might hurt, at first. It might be embarrassing and difficult, but it brings life.
“I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” ~John 8:12

(Much of my thought on this subject was inspired by Andy Stanley’s 9 part sermon entitled Defining Moments.)

1 comment:

  1. Very good thoughts and questions about the passage here. It's so true that Satan wants us to constantly have a warped view of God. That was the lie from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete